From PCLinuxOShelp Knowledge Base
- YOU ARE HERE :: Main Page >> Table of contents >> Introduction >> PCLinuxOS Remasters
This page is under construction. Do NOT take it seriously yet.
This page deals with the different community derived flavors or remasters of PCLinuxOS.
A remaster is a personalized version of PCLinuxOS created according to the needs of an individual. It is created using the mylivecd software by Texstar from an installation of any of the official flavors of PCLinuxOS.
An official remaster would only include software and components from official repository. A community remaster may contain software and components from outside but should not have any reference to PCLinuxOS other than the permitted "derived from PCLinuxOS" or "based on PCLinuxOS" if intended for distribution.
Available community derived flavors
The following community derived flavors of PCLinuxOS are available :
- OnlyHuman E17 Ecomorph - A remaster using Enlightenment 17 as the window manager / desktop environment with desktop effects enabled produced by OnlyHuman. Regularly updated and maintained.
Download : http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,116600.0.html (if a download link for the latest .iso is not seen in the first page, start searching from the last page of this forum thread)
Guidelines for official remasters
Here is a non-exhaustive list of basic principles to be followed for a remaster to be recognised as official :
- The submitted remaster should have no less hardware recognition than the main release. That is, it should provide up to date hardware support as provided from PCLinuxOS KDE, which means that remasters must always include the latest available stable kernel, firmware, the latest available stable drivers, including but not limited to network and wireless drivers, video drivers, tools for configuring hardware etc.
- The submitted remaster should have a standard set of minimal services set to start at boot such as acpid, alsa, atd, cron, cpufreq, D-BUS/messagebus, network, sound, udev-post, uuid etc.
- The submitted remaster should not intentionally remove any functionality of standard configuration tools. PCLinuxOS control center should be available and usable.
- The submitted remaster must retain full compatibility with existing repositories. Do not pin packages. This causes update problems for users. Do not add experimental features to the kernel or add dkms modules not in our repository.
- The submitted remaster must not include non-repo packages nor any non-repo scripts, other than general in-situ configurations, themes and wallpapers. If there is a particular application required - request its inclusion into the repository prior to submitting the remaster.
SOURCE : Forum post by Hootiegibbon http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,104310.0.html
Contents of Section 1.
- Use these to make lists
- and sublists
- as you need.
Contents of Section 2
• This is the bullet point character used on the Main Page and elsewhere.
Contents of Section 3
Bold, italic, and Bold italic are available for formatting. Colors should be used sparingly.